Freedom of Information and Complaints

Service Delivery Concerns

The Township is committed to addressing program and service delivery concerns raised by members of the public promptly and effectively. We welcome comments and suggestions. Complaints may be made in person, by phone, letter, email or fax and are logged into the Township’s electronic tracking system (Access E-11) for distribution to the appropriate Department Head for action and resolution. It is the responsibility of the respective Department Head or their designate to communicate with the complainant to attempt to resolve issues or concerns. Early and informal resolution of complaints is encouraged. If your complaint concerns a bylaw issue, please review Bylaw and Enforcement.

A complaint is defined as:
An expression of dissatisfaction related to operations, a municipal service or program, facility, or staff member, where a citizen believes that the municipality has not provided a service experience to the customer’s satisfaction at the point of service delivery and a satisfactory response or resolution has not been achieved. The issue remains unresolved.

For example, complaints regarding garbage pick-up, or the condition of a street surface, would only qualify as formal complaints if the matter cannot be resolved informally (i.e. contacting the municipal office with concerns and giving the appropriate department an opportunity to resolve the issue).

If you feel that your concern has not been satisfactorily resolved, please contact the Clerk who will send you a formal complaint form for completion. This form does not address:

  1. Complaints and alleged breaches of the Code of Conduct or the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act by Council Members or Local Board Members. These complaints must be completed on the appropriate form, available on the Township’s website, and must be filed with the Clerk. The Clerk will forward the matter to the Integrity Commissioner who will assess the complaint in accordance with the Township’s current Integrity Commissioner Agreement.
  2. Complaints about closed meetings. These must be completed on the appropriate form available on the Township’s website and filed with the Clerk. The Clerk will forward the matter to the Municipal Investigator, who will assess the matter in accordance with the Township’s current Municipal Investigator Agreement.
  3. Complaints concerning contractors, or volunteers working on behalf of the Township. These must be addressed by the service provider.
  4. Matters that are handled by tribunals, courts of law, quasi-judicial boards, etc. or matters that are minor, frivolous or vexatious (as determined by the Clerk or designate), or that occurred more than two years ago.

Decision re: Formal Complaints
Once a Formal Complaint Form has been completed and submitted to the Clerk, it is up to the individual investigating the complaint to determine if a response is required.  Any responses shall include:  

  •  Whether the complaint was substantiated;
  •  If the complaint is not substantiated, provide reason(s) for the decision;
  • Any actions the municipality has or will take as a result of the complaint; and
  •  A request for feedback on the complaint process

Appeal Process
Once the municipality has communicated the decision to the complainant; there is no appeal process at the municipal level. Unresolved issues can be directed by way of a delegation to Council or addressed at the Provincial level through the Ontario Ombudsman.

Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA)

Requests made under MFIPPA should be forwarded to the Clerk, submitted on the MFIPPA Request Form along with the applicable $5 fee.
Bylaw 2016-44 – Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA)