writing on a form

Clerks Office

The Clerk’s office is responsible for recording the minutes of Council and Committee meetings, as well as communicating Council’s decisions to all appropriate parties. The office prepares and keeps all by-laws and resolutions that are passed by council. The office also performs statutory duties under the Municipal Act, Line Fences Act, Drainage Act, Planning Act, Emergency Measures Act, and other Statutes of Ontario. The Clerk also acts as the Returning Officer for Municipal Elections and as a Commissioner of Oaths.

The Clerk’s department also offers various services to the community such as: Civil Marriage Ceremonies, Lottery Licenses, Marriage Licences and Special Occasion Certificates.

Commissioner of Oaths

The Clerk and Deputy Clerk are “Commissioners of Oaths” for the purpose of witnessing certain legal documents, including vehicle transfers, insurance claims and livestock claim affidavits. However, they cannot certify documents such as birth, death and marriage certificates as “true” copies. They can certify copies for some applications sent to the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada). However, some applications submitted to the IRCC must be notarized by a notary or lawyer. Please check with IRCC to see if certification by a Commissioner of Oaths is acceptable. Neither the Clerk, nor the Deputy Clerk, are a “Notary Public” and cannot sign any documents requiring the certification of a Notary Public. 

There is a fee of $10/document for this service. The non-resident of North Dundas fee is $20/document. Documents must be signed in the presence of the Clerk or Deputy Clerk before they can be commissioned. We reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.

Please call ahead (613-774-2105) to make sure that either the Clerk or Deputy-Clerk will be available and bring photo ID.

Documents the Township will Commission (including but not limited to):

  • Township of North Dundas generated documents
  • Domestic and Foreign Pension document also known as Proof of Life
  • Canadian Citizenship forms
  • Delayed Statement of Live Birth
  • Adult Name Change
  • Vehicle transfer of ownership to a family member
  • Child Travel Consent
  • Invitation letters for a visitor's VISA
  • Immunization exemption document
  • Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification
  • Statutory Declaration for OSAP – Statement of Common Law Status/Supporting Children
  • Amendment to Birth/ Death/ Marriage Certificate forms
  • Affidavit of Proof of Loss of Motor Vehicle/boat (from an insurance company)
  • Affidavit of Proof of Residency
  • Travel Industry Council of Ontario - Affidavit of Customer Claimant

Documents the Township cannot Commission:

  • Wills, Living Wills, Codicils to Wills or Estate Settlement documents
  • Power of Attorney
  • Divorce, separation, marriage or cohabitation documents
  • Custody documents
  • Documents related to debt
  • Real Estate documents
  • Court, Legal or Civil issue related documents
  • Declaration or Claimant and Indemnity
  • Statutory Declaration of Progress Payment Distribution – Holdback Security Deposits
  • Statement of Arrears
  • Certified True Copies
  • Declaration of a Translator
  • Age of Majority or BYID Card Application
  • Documents requiring the signature of a Notary Public, Canadian and Foreign