Land Divisions


Severances allow land owners to legally separate their property into two separate parcels/lots for the purpose of selling or leasing (for a period of at least 21 years) the severed land. The United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry (SDG) are the approval authority for Consents/Severances within the Township of North Dundas.

Severance Process a Step-By-Step Guide

For more information on Land Severances, access the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing’s Citizens Guide to Land Severances.

Subdivision/Condo Development

A plan of subdivision is required when three or more lots are being created through the subdivision of land and at least two of those lots are going to be sold. A plan of subdivision is an agreement between the Township of North Dundas and the developer. The draft plan agreement lays out a list of conditions that must be met before the draft plan can achieve final approval. For application forms to apply for a subdivision or condominium development, visit: Planning Forms.

Subdivision Process Step-By-Step Guide

For additional information about plans of subdivision, click on the following link to access the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing’s Citizens Guide to Plans of Subdivision.

Part Lot Control

Part lot control enables the realignment of lots or further division of land that was subject to a Plan of Subdivision. Townships can exempt land using part lot control to allow for the further subdivision and adjustment of lot lines. An application must be submitted to exempt a parcel of land from part lot control. Approval is required in the form of a bylaw approved by Township Council and a stamp by SDG.

One Foot Reserves

One foot reserves are put in place to prevent access to public highways and/or to ensure that plans of subdivision are built in a logical and efficient manner through the use of phasing. Lifting a one foot reserve is necessary to allow for the next phase of a subdivision to start development or to gain access to a public road. To lift a one foot reserve, an application is necessary. For further information, please contact the Planning staff at 613-774-2105 ext.292.