The Township works hard in advance to prepare for the first snow fall of the winter season. Staff work to transform dump trucks, graders and tractors into snow plows, and perform winter vehicle maintenance while ensuring sufficient supplies of salt and stone dust to keep our roads safe.
Please review our Winter Maintenance and Salt Management Policy and general snow facts for more information on snow clearing in the Township of North Dundas.
General Snow Facts:
- The Township starts to plow at 4:00 am on snow days
- First snow response is to plow and salt the roads. It takes 6 hours to complete the Township – 16 hours and longer, if snow continues to fall
- Priority/designated roads are completed first – these are major routes for traffic, emergency vehicles or parking in villages
- There are 8 plow routes
- There are 10 staff that work during the snow period in morning shift and 6 staff in the afternoon shift, once implemented
- There are 2 sidewalk plows
- The Township plows sidewalks in Winchester, Chesterville, Morewood and South Mountain
- Mailboxes (usually in newer subdivisions) are cleared by Canada Post