Waste Management Plan EA
The Township of North Dundas Announces the Commencement of an EA of the Township Waste Management Plan
The Township of North Dundas (the Township) has initiated a study under the Environmental Assessment Act on the Township’s waste management plan for disposal of waste for a 25-year planning period.
The Boyne Road Landfill site (the Site) is the only municipal waste disposal site available for residents and businesses located in the Township. In late 2014, as part of regulatory approval processes, the Township was made aware that it had exceeded its approved landfill disposal capacity. To continue using the site in the short-term, an emergency Environmental Compliance Approval (ECA) was received with a requirement that the Township evaluate waste management alternatives. The evaluation considered: site closure and waste export, site expansion, a new landfill and alternative waste technologies. The result of the comparative evaluation was that expansion of the existing site was the preferred alternative. Based on the findings of this evaluation, the Council directed Township staff to pursue approval to expand the site. The site expansion requires approval under the Ontario Environmental Assessment Act. The purpose of the Environmental Assessment is to evaluate long-term solid waste management options to accommodate waste disposal for a 25-year planning period.
The Township is located in Eastern Ontario, in the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, approximately 40 kilometres (km) south of Ottawa. The site is located along Boyne Road, approximately 1.5 km east of the Village of Winchester on Lot 8, Concession VI in the former Township of Winchester. The location of the site is indicated on the map below.Image
The first step in the Environmental Assessment process is the development of Terms of Reference, which includes opportunities for public review and input.
The Terms of Reference will provide a description of alternatives to the project and will provide the framework for:
- Defining the scope of the studies to characterize the existing environment;
- Public consultation methods;
- Identification and assessment of alternative methods of implementing the project;
- The methods for the prediction and assessment of potential effects of the proposed undertaking on the environment;
- Mitigation measures to avoid or reduce adverse effects; and,
- Follow-up monitoring and contingency plans.
The amended Terms of Reference were submitted to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) for approval. It was approved by the Minister on July 1, 2020 and the framework from the amended Approved Terms of Reference will guide the work and studies that will then be completed during the Environmental Assessment.
The second step in the process is to develop an Environmental Assessment study which should be carried out in accordance with the amended Approved Terms of Reference and the requirements of the Environmental Assessment Act. Stakeholders will be informed at a later date when and where the Environmental Assessment can be reviewed.
- Notice of Commencement of Terms of Reference for an Environmental Assessment of the Proposed Expansion of the Boyne Road Landfill, Township of North Dundas.
- Display Boards Open House 1
- Comment Sheet Open House 1
- Display Boards Open House 2
- Comment Sheet Open House 2
- 1648253-finalTOR Vol 1 2019 Aug.
- 1648253-finalTOR Vol 2_2019 Aug.
- 1648253-finalTOR Vol 3 2019 Aug.
- Notice of Commencement of an Environmental Assessment of the Township of North Dundas Waste Management Plan
- Township of North Dundas Waste Diversion Study 2020
- Waste Diversion Study Technical Bulletin and Feedback Form 2021 Jan.
- Technical Bulletin #2 ‘Alternatives To’ 2021 Feb
- Technical Bulletin #2 Feedback Form 2021 Feb
- February 22, 2017: Publication of the Notice of Commencement including notification of the first Open House.
- October 26, 2017: Notice of Open House #2, Environmental Assessment of the Proposed Expansion of the Boyne Road Landfill
- Notice Requesting Review of Draft Terms of Reference
- Notice of Submission of Terms of Reference, Environmental Assessment of the Township of North Dundas Waste Management Plan
- Waste Diversion Study Technical Bulletin Feedback Form 2021 Jan.
- Technical Bulletin #2 Feedback Form 2021 Feb.
Drinking Water Supply System EA
The Township of North Dundas has initiated a Class Environmental Assessment to determine the most suitable expansion and/or upgrades to the North Dundas Drinking Water Supply System over the next 20 years.